Saturday, December 21, 2013

Pumpkin Chocolate Breakfast Cookies


Oh boy. Time seriously flies when you're constantly moving around. After a little under 3 months in Berlin I am finally back home in Minneapolis for the holidays, seeing old friends, working at the restaurant, remembering how to drive on solid ice, and, of course, getting back into baking after a long hiatus.



Berlin, in the end, was wonderful. It took until the air got cold for me to warm up to it, but big cities take time. By the final month, I had made some amazing friends from all over the continent, found my favorite places to take dance classes, and was visiting those lovely German Christmas markets like it was my job.


My real job hunt in Berlin kind of petered out midway through, but that's because something much more exciting came along. Next month, I am moving to Tangier, Morocco (yes moving) for at least 6 months to teach contemporary dance classes and put together a traveling dance performance. What. I know. I can't believe it's real life. So that's happening.

I was more sad than I thought to see that chapter of my life in Berlin come to a close, but I feel like the city and I have some unfinished business. I'll be back.

For now, back to the cookies.

Here was the one downside to being in Berlin during the holidays- no canned pumpkin to be found. I wanted to make a pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving and had to settle on apple instead. Needless to say, I have been craving pumpkin-y desserts since November. I know you guys in the States are sick of anything orange by now, but please bear with me. Because these are delicious cookies. That taste like muffins. A muffin cookie. Which means it's totally acceptable to eat them for breakfast, right?



Pumpkin Chocolate Breakfast Cookies
(vegan)

makes about 2 dozen

2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/3 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup crushed pecans
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup butter or vegan margarine
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup applesauce
2 tbsp molasses
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 tsp vanilla

1/2 cup chocolate chips 
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Preheat your oven to 350ºF (175ºC) and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, oats, pecans, baking soda and spices. Set aside. In a large bowl, cream together the brown sugar and butter, then whisk in the syrup, applesauce, molasses, pumpkin, and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients to the wet in three batches and stir until combined.

Plop the cookie dough onto the baking sheet in heaping tablespoons, flattening them down a bit (they don't spread much) and bake for 18 minutes. The cookies will still be squishy on top, but don't worry, they solidify on their own.

While the cookies cool, melt the chocolate chips and cinnamon together in a double boiler or microwave. Generously drizzle the melted chocolate over the cookies. Eat immediately for gooey results, or let sit and enjoy a hardened chocolate shell. Either way is extremely satisfying.


No comments:

Post a Comment